Friday, April 8, 2011

You Are What You Digest

I am happy to report: no new addiction to cigarettes. I am sad to report yesterday’s final non-fat latte.  Couldn’t there be a swap?  I never smoked so the lattes are in – no? Ok.  Surprisingly enough, I’m actually okay with it and I’ve come to terms with the food swap in anticipation of feeling a whole lot different when I have completed this.

Yesterday after work I went to the grocery store to pick up “staples”. With my list in tow, I spent most of my time in the produce section learning to how buy things I’ve never purchased before….like beets.  They sort of taste like dirt, but I like them anyway. (Note to self: call Mom and ask her how much time I spent eating dirt as a child.) I left the store with 2 bags of produce and a gallon of apple juice…all organic…less than $50. I wondered what I was supposed to do with these random items. Like the zucchini, parsley and the load of avocados, apples and lemons.

When we met in the evening, we were given the list of foods to eat and it totally dominates the list of foods not to eat! I was not expecting this; even though I’ve known this isn’t a fast, I didn’t expect that we’d be allowed to eat as much as we want at our meals and that the list of what we could eat would be so enormous! The only stipulation is no snacking. We’ve been provided with recipes as well, which should be fun to try.

Rice cakes – I thought I liked rice cakes.  Turns out I like the ones slathered in stuff like sugar.  By the time I got to the second one (yes, I ate two of them – don’t judge!), I started to really like the new brand. Had oatmeal for breakfast today and strayed from my normal process…I’m not going to lie: it was questionable.  Any dried fruits need to be soaked in hot water before eating…do you know what raisins look like soaking in hot water?  It’s not pretty…and the water turns brown (just thought I would share). Without milk, I was worried the oatmeal would be bland, so I added strawberries, and it was a good thing too – there’s no way I would have eaten the oatmeal and those waterlogged things that used to be raisins alone!  Made beet salad for lunch today…the term ‘salad’ is used loosely as it consists of beets…lemon juice….and a special oil. It tastes pretty great actually but definitely not a salad. Just wiped my mouth and it looks like I blotted off lipstick…good.  This is a good look for me – with bright pink lips. Fabulous.

Been drinking water like there’s an upcoming ration. I’ve had to pee all morning – like every 20 – 30 minutes. Then I got the hiccups.  You ever have to pee AND get the hiccups? Look, I kept it under control, but there were a few minutes when I really worried Patrick would have to bring me new underwear and pants.  Probably socks and shoes too.

We’ll see what the coming days and meals bring, but so far I’ve decided maybe switching from Clif Bars to rice cakes isn’t so bad after all.

1 comment:

The Onion said...

So...you are made of water, beets and rice cakes with no sugar? Hmmm..

Today, I am made of a chai tea and an eggroll.

I can't decide which is worse.