Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Quintessential Question

There’s nothing better than really, truly, great food….whatever that may be to each of us.  Truly great food is always enjoyed and savored, but most importantly – it is remembered.  We all know when we’ve had an amazing breakfast or Panini, a steak that melts in your mouth or banana cream pie that beats all other pies. Grilled vegetables, fresh strawberries, a funnel cake, banana lattes or phenomenal dark chocolate. My life revolves around food: what time it is served, creating menus, cooking and of course eating! I do not eat to live, I live to eat.

Each day, I go completely insane listening to women whine about being overweight and what they eat, and then, consequently, what they don’t eat.  This is all done as I watch them move from the freezer to the microwave with a box, the contents of which are some concoction containing little to zero actual food, ready in 5 minutes or less. The women look at my lunches like Hyenas stalking prey. When it comes to speaking up about things I do for myself, they are very funny acting about it. Some show interest, some grasp their frozen boxes even more firmly.  I say to them, “that’s not nearly enough food, you’re going to starve!” of course, this translates into, “you idiot, just EAT!”

No wonder men get tired of women bitching and moaning and whining and complaining and say we don’t make sense. Prime example: this is the same group that refuses to exercise, but instead, hang their hopes on the contents of this ‘magic’ box. Interesting choice. Ever paid attention to what’s in those boxes?  Nothing.  There’s nothing in them – perhaps a few forkfuls of food, smothered in a creation masquerading as sauce. The contents in the box are never enough, so they are quickly followed by a bag of Doritos which, sadly, are more filling than the frozen mess itself.

I don’t believe in diets – of any type. Extremes to me are pointless and silly. Absolutes such as “I never” and “I always” aren’t things I live by…especially as they apply to food, and this works for me.  The women will say “you can eat whatever you want, you’re thin”. Not true. I make wise choices. I make poor choices. I’m conscious of them all and there are consequences of too many poor choices. Wise choice: whole wheat pasta with tomatoes and green beans. Unwise choice: apple fritter from Starbucks, which I'm eating as I type this. Just eat and enjoy it. 

One of the things I’ve learned from my Uncle Michael is that he, too, loves really great food.  This means I end up with a wide variety to try when I visit him, and when I’m full, I’m full.  He’ll say to me “you don’t have to finish, did you enjoy what you ate?” 

That to me is the quintessential question….did you enjoy what you ate?

No comments: