Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The BIG 3-0

As my dreaded 30th Birthday arrives, I can’t help but notice that others are keeping track of events, like a top 30, of things they have done leading up to the “big day”.  I’m just not that interesting. 

I live in a corner house with 3 dogs and am 1 rocking chair short of being the crazy lady on the front porch that yells at cars to slow down. This is not top-30-worthy. It also isn’t my fault: Patrick won’t buy me the chair.

I tried to start a top 30 and it didn’t turn out so great. No sky diving, crab fishing, climbing Everest, bungee jumping or snake wrangling in Cambodia. I gave up on the list because after number 7 or 8, I ran out of things. Yes, ran out. Even after expanding the parameter from 30 days to 1 whole year, I was stuck. Then I began adding absolutely ridiculous things that were a stretch to say the very least, just to see if I could even make it to 30 things. Some of it may have been fabricated – don’t judge!

My 30th Birthday has been something I’ve focused on since I was, well, probably 19. What if I don’t accomplish much/anything before then? What exactly am I supposed to accomplish? Who makes the list of things to do? Do I make the list? Skip ahead to uh-oh, I’m 25 and there is no list! Cut to now, 5 days before my 30th, and there is still no list to be had for what I was supposed to accomplish by now. 

There’s that show on the Travel Channel called Burt the Conqueror.  From the commercials, I don’t see many conquests, just a guy doing kid stuff and appearing to have a great time doing it! He may be on to something – but really, being a kid wasn’t my gig even when I was one, so the likelihood of me being a BIG kid now is totally out of the question. Honestly, I’ve never thought I missed out on all that much and adding kid-like things to the list just isn’t me.

Pretty sure whatever I was “supposed” to do, I’ve probably done, and anything I’ve missed can be taken care of later. Later than now…but before 40…better get started! And where is Patrick with that chair!?!?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

1- have a career
2- get hitched
3- own a house
4- go jeeping
5- do something 'out of character'.... Yogo instructor
6- be close to family
7- have a plan for what comes after 30... ask your OLD cousin Jessie
8- live where most vacation
9- surround yourself with a great group of friends
10- start a blog
11- laugh a lot
12- know that 50 is the new 30- Oprah says so!!!
13- go to atleast 1 place on your bucket list
14- start a bucket list... you're getting old
15- Know that 60 is the new 50- Maya Angelou says so!!!
16- exercise daily
17- get a dog (or 2 or 3)
18- dance naked in your livingroom with all the lights on, even if the neighbors can see you!
19- get a rocking chair!!!!
20- be so comfortable that you can pee with the door open
21- volunteer somewhere
22- always keep up to speed on technology... Don't ever become that person who can't keep up!!!
23- read a masterpiece
24- play in the dirt
25- go abroad
26- have a savings account
27- know the bartender at your fav hangout... assuming alcohol is involved
28- go skydiving!!! Why not? Do it on your birthday!
29- read Jessie's blog
30- go camping

Hmmmm... You've done all of that

AHahn said...

Thanks for the Top 30 - you're right, I've done ALL of those things...except dance naked in the living room with the blinds open, that was you :)